The day started awesomly.
I logged in into my amazon EC2 instance, that I use at work, for beta testing the software before production, and everything was ok.
Then evil Windows came into play and greeted me with a message for updating the system.
So I did! And everything went wrong!
After rebooting I was no longer able to connect to this ec2. Sign in to amazon aws console to see the ec2 status and found the message:
“Cannot load details for ami-#########. You may not be permitted to view it”.
I then went to the Status Checks and I found out another helpfull message (not!):
“These checks monitor your software and network configuration for this instance.
Instance reachability check failed at August 25, 2014 10:20:00 AM UTC+1 (8 minutes ago)”.
After poking around amazon forum I found out that the problem was due to a driver bug (AWS PV Driver Version 7.2.0).
1. Move affected instance to C3 instance type.
2. Uninstall AWS PV Driver Version 7.2.0 via Programs and Features and reboot when prompted
3. Download the 7.2.0 AWS PV Driver Installer from: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ec2-windows-drivers/AWS+PV+7.2.0/MicrosoftSigned/Installer/AWSPVDriverPackager.exe
4. Install AWS PV 7.2.0 and reboot when prompted
5. Move instance back to non-c3 type.